Wednesday 7 December 2011

Saint Nicholas's Day


I adore these chocolate Santas that are all on a stick like lollipops.  I think they are so cute!

I decided to post this image in honour of Saint Nicholas's Day, although, technically speaking, it was actually yesterday.  I should have taken the photo then, but I was too busy being at a Christmas dinner, which I suppose is a good "seasonal" excuse.

Anyway, Saint Nicholas is the patron saint of children, and in the Netherlands, children receive presents on his day, which is December 6.  Then Christmas Day, the 25th, is reserved as a religious occasion.  I'm totally in favour of this type of arrangement, as it separates the hoopla and the frenzy of gift giving, the razzle and dazzle, etc from the celebration of the birth of Christ, which is a religious occasion with deep significance. 

Much has been said about the commercialization of Christmas, and indeed, most stores make the majority of their income from the last couple of months of the calendar year.  To me, all this festivity and over-festivity seems to be like a tremendous amount of icing on a small and already very rich cake.

Does anyone else feel they would like the secular and the religious aspects of Christmas to be two separate occasions, or am I just weird?

2 comments:

mispapelicos said...

Soooooooooooo wonderfu!!
How are you getting on with the Christmas Swap???
Besosssssssssssss

Rosemary the Shopper said...

Package on its way today!