Thursday 16 February 2012

The End of the Sock Saga


At the last meeting of the knitting group, we had a "ceremonial hand-over" of the needles, signalling the end of my sock knitting saga.  These needles, you see, were actually borrowed, so the hand-over meant that I would never, ever have to navigate 50 million stitches with them again.  The size says Disc12, which means they are like knitting with eyelashes.  How wonderfully fast is that?  About 1/8 inch per row.  Oh, how I raced along!

Anyway, Gorgeous Husband finally got his handknitted black socks for Valentine's Day.  OK, they were to have been for Christmas, but let's not be picky.  It only took me 3 months to do it. I can't tell you how pleased I was that they fit.  As I told a friend, "if they don't fit, we're going to have to chop off some toes!"

So, with some giggling and clapping, Jo got her needles back.  As you can see from the photo, we are all diligent, except for Jenny, who is reading a knitting book. We will have to discipline her.

Unfortunately, as marvellous as the socks are, they will always be hidden in shoes, so really, no bragging rights at all.  Won't be doing that again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. I will NEVER knit socks. My sock knitting books are now in the donation bag for my local library, and the yarn I have on hand will be used to line my knitted hats.

Rosemary the Shopper said...

Thanks Anonymous. Glad to have saved you months of hard slog for very little in the way of a product to "show off"! Gorgeous Husband was grateful, I learned something, and I was glad that I had done it. But I've learned my lesson, in more ways than one!

Melanie said...

Oh, your post made me laugh! Thank you for that - especially on such a busy day. Well, I think your husband needs to wear some extra-extra short pants to show off those most marvellous socks! Well done. It must be true love!

Melanie said...

PS I just joined you. Anyone who likes Downton Abbey and dresses the part... well, nuff said.

Rosemary the Shopper said...

Hello Melanie, so happy to have you as a follower. Especially as you live in my old "home town". I doubt Husband will wear short pants, but that's a great idea. I could easily shorten his trousers while he slept!

Love your art work and your outfits. You make the world a lovelier place! Are you exhibiting in any galleries I might know of?

Cheers,
Rosemary

Melanie said...

If you shortened your husband's pants while he slept it would be a like a scene from Amelie, if you know the movie I'm talking about. Hee hee. No exhibitions at the moment, but I'll keep you posted.