Friday 25 May 2012

Off to a Fashion Show with a Difference

I toddled off to a fashion show the other night, but one with a big difference.  It was a fashion show put on by the charity Scope, which helps people with cerebral palsy.  It is one of the 18 (yes, 18!!) charity shops in town.  The clothes were all from the shop, and the prices were suitably easy on the purse.  It was fabulous to see such great outfits put together from "charity shop clothes".  All the models looked great, (a good age range) and everyone was having a fabulous time.

Here I am, about to set off for the show
Everything is from a charity shop somewhere, including all the bangles. 

I had expected it to be like a regular fashion show, you know... come in, get a drink, sit down, watch the show, mingle, go home.  But, the girls from Scope had cleverly brought rails and rails and rails of clothes (they'd been stashing them for just this event) and tables and tables of jewellery and shoes.  ALL FOR SALE.  Well, be still my beating heart!  There were mobs of women, all milling aorund and snapping up goodies.  I think some of them had no idea that there were so many nice things at such great prices in charity shops.  (I suspected a few charity shop virgins!) 

Luckily, I didn't waste my money on a drink, but got straight to the shopping.  When I was done, there was no money left for a drink.  (I can do that at home!)


This is the lovely bag I snaffled, and the great beaded bracelet, which looks African.  There is a necklace that matches the bracelet, which I will show in another post.  The bag was £4.95, and I loved the orange trim and tweedy-looking raffia.  It looked like a "holiday" bag.   And then I bought a silly amount of jewellery, which ate up the last of my cash.

We were also asked to bring donations, and there was a massive pile of bags with donated goods.  In all, Scope raised nearly £1500 on the night, and goodness knows how much more when they sort out the goodies in the bags.   I think we all came away winners!

10 comments:

Mrs. D said...

Great finds!
Someone was thinking of doing something similar at Oxfam, where I volunteer, seems like we should!

The Style Crone said...

Great bag and bracelet and you describe such a good time! You have 18 charity shops in your area??? What a gift and so much to choose from.

Mrs. D said...

Thanks :) I won't be going to Oxfam for a couple of weeks as I'm going to be away, but I'll surely want some more details, it sounds like a great idea!

Curtise said...

What a fabulous idea. I love your bag and bracelet. 18 charity shops in town, how wonderful! xxxx

Vix said...

What a brilliant fundraising idea and you chose some lovely items, too. x

Kathleen said...

This is great! I donate all my old clothes to charity. There are some great finds, and the money one spends goes to a good cause.

Rosemary the Shopper said...

Thanks everybody for your lovely comments!

Much love,
Rosemary

seo melbourne said...

Hi, just a quick note to tell you that I appreciated reading your article.
Cotton Bags

Eye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eye said...

Really very fabulous idea and your
bag and bracelet are very beautiful. Thanks for sharing great matter with us.
Hostess torino