Tuesday 21 August 2012

The Turning Point


A couple weeks ago, Gorgeous Husband and I decided to take a little trip on one of his days off.  As you can see, it was lovely and sunny and warm, so we went to Bridgnorth in Shropshire. 

Afterwards, I was thinking what a turning point it was the first time we visited this lovely historic town, set on two levels.  When we were visiting Britain on one of our trips from Canada, we found the town entirely by accident.  It was gettting late in the day, and when we asked for a recommendation for a place to stay, we were told Bridgnorth was an interesting town.


Outside the venicular railway, eating orange and double chocolate ice cream.
Bag, top, bangles, all charity shop finds.  White skirt from New Look (about 7 years ago.)

This venicular railway takes you from the High Town to the Low Town and back.  I think it is from the 20s or 30s, I forgot to check its date.



This is the lovely King's Head Hotel where we stayed the night.  We had just spent a few days with the family, celebrating Gorgeous Husband's parent's 50th wedding anniversary.  It was here that we decided for sure (no more debating it) that we would "up sticks" and move to England to live.  I reasoned that his parents were not getting any younger, and that it would be good for us to spend more time with them in their golden years.  I can't really say we made plans, as such, it was more like turning a corner.  We had almost 14 years near them:  family visits, having birthdays and Christmases and being close when they went to the nursing home.  It was truly the best decision for us.

Our little excursion brought it all back to me. It's not often I can point with certainity to where the course of my history changed.



This little hedgehog handbag was in the window of a shop in Bridgnorth.  I quite liked it, but it was a bit more pricey than what I wanted to pay, about £80 if I remember correctly.   It was also a tad strange, although Gorgeous Husband was quite taken with it.


4 comments:

Jean at www.drossintogold.com said...

Hi Sweetie!!

I can't tell you how much I enjoy your posts and wish I could come visit and see it through your eyes. I understand those pivotal moments and decisions. I've got a few more years to be where I am, but I'm getting itchy to transition into the next phase. Definitely not here!!

Love to you and yours! ......Jean

Anonymous said...

I like reflective posts...and the kinds of details that key them off. I'm admiring the bag too.

The Style Crone said...

Such a sweet story about the moment that your life shifted and the thoughtfulness that motivated your move. To be close to Gorgeous Husband's parents as they aged was a true gift to them and it sounds like a gift to the both of you as well.

You're stunning in black and white, with the beautiful background, the historic place where the life changing decision was made.

Vix said...

Bridgnorth is a lovely place, great pubs and some fabulous hippy shops. How nice to revisit and share that life changing decision! x